Teacher: Penny Smetters-Jacono, music
School: Celia Cruz Bronx High School of Music
Project Goal(s): To provide all ninth grade clarinet, bassoon, and saxophone players with access to an Artist in Residence who will do the following help improve technical skills and approach to the instrument.
DESCRIPTION OF ACTIVITIES
Artist in residence will provide private Lessons, small group instruction for bassoon, clarinet and saxophone players in Concert Band in order to:
· Meet with students in the ninth grade who play clarinet, saxophone, and bassoon in rotation once a week for 16 weeks during their ensemble time.
· Meet with students individually and in small groups to refine individual technique.
· Help improve technical skills and approach to the instrument.
· Integrate musical skills to help develop discipline and healthy playing habits.
· Work with students to develop effective practice techniques and strategies that will serve them throughout their playing career.
· Demonstrate how the skills they are learning are the same skills and attitudes that professional artists utilize.
ETA funds were used for the teaching artist fees.