The American Theatre Wing is committed to fostering a future generation of theatre makers that reflects the diversity and dynamism of America as a whole. With the generous support of The Andrew Lloyd Weber Foundation, The Wing is investing in direct support for underserved public school students demonstrating exceptional talent and economic need to participate in after school training programs or intensive summer study programs to better prepare for future training at the university level. Through the Training Scholarships, we hope to bridge the gap between talent and opportunity and create a strong pipeline to the professional theatre for promising artists of all backgrounds.
Who should apply?
Public Middle and High School students who demonstrate talent and ability in the theatre arts, but have a lack of resources to receive high level training prior to college. The student’s area of focus can be from any aspect of theatre from performance, to design, to writing, to stage management.
What Kinds of Applications are Competitive?
Applicants who can demonstrate their talent through an audition video or portfolio.
Where can I study?
Applicants should already have and identify their planned course of study and the program or organization where they plan to attend.
Grant funding can be used for:
- Theatre training programs that stand alone or are housed in professional theatre settings
- Theatre training camps
- Conferences or special training opportunities
Funding may not be used for:
- University or Community College Classes
- Classes or tuition at institutions which confer a diploma or degree
The first cycle will begin in the Fall of 2016, repeating annually:
- October 18th – Applications available
- January 17th – Deadline to apply
- February and March – Review process, selections made by expert panel
- April – Notifications of Grants